If you want to get the most out of your workout, then you need to be thinking about post-exercise recovery and how best to achieve this. Thousands of studies have proven that certain supplements can not only help repair muscles after exercise but also enhance performance during your workout. Read on to discover two of our best supplements to aid recovery.
Natural Whey Protein Isolate
Our natural whey protein isolate powder is low in fat and high in protein, and can be used to increase lean muscle mass, enhance exercise performance and assist with weight management.
- Replenish – Using whey isolate post-workout helps to return the body from a catabolic (muscle-wasting) to and anabolic (muscle-building) state. It promotes the regeneration of muscles cells and synthesis of amino acids into protein molecules, which eventually make up muscle fibres. Supplementing your diet with whey protein isolate is a convenient and reliable way to ensure your body has the building blocks it needs to replenish muscle cells following an intense workout.
- Repair– Our whey isolate is a rich source of BCAAs – or ‘Branched Chain Amino Acids’ – These are essential amino acids which have been shown to increase lean muscle mass whilst preventing catabolic muscle degradation – for a doubly beneficial recovery effect. Use of BCAAs can reduce the effects of DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) – the experience of sore muscles 1-2 days following intense exercise. Such soreness can leave you with discomfort and pain, preventing you from further exercise until it has subsided. Using whey isolate following exercise can dramatically reduce the impact of DOMS.
ZMA® is a unique combination of Zinc, Magnesium and Vitamin B6 designed to increase post-exercise recovery by inducing sleep and improving sleep quality. This holy trinity of nutrients can be taken around one hour before sleep to encourage the body’s natural repair process. Research has shown that these nutrients not only have their own attributes but also work in sync to produce an overall benefit. Here’s all you need to know about this terrific trio!
- Zinc – When you exercise your muscles, microscopic tears occur on a cellular level. It is when the body repairs these tears that the new muscle is formed and the muscles become bigger and stronger than before. Zinc is important for growth and the production of new cells, including muscle fibres, and so taking it post-exercise encourages muscle repair and synthesis.
- Magnesium – probably the most researched nutrient when it comes to post-exercise recovery. This is because it is absolutely essential in protein metabolism. It is also a muscle relaxant that helps to induce sleep by suppressing the nervous system. Taking magnesium before bed is a good idea because it allows your body to accelerate important repair processes, which in turn will leave you feeling more energised upon waking.
- Vitamin B6 – not just one nutrient but a group of water-soluble compounds. Because they are water-soluble, they are readily lost in urine and so a regular and adequate intake is essential. This vitamin is involved in the synthesis of genetic material, amino acids and proteins – helping to repair muscle cells post-exercise. The role of B6 within ZMA® is to support the absorption and utilisation of both Zinc and Magnesium.
ZMA® is a unique formulation containing each of the above. Zinc and magnesium work together to prepare the body for sleep and enter a recovery zone, and Vitamin B6 ensures optimal absorption of each. This combination has been shown to promote REM sleep, a deeper sleep that leaves you feeling more rested upon waking. This in turn encourages the body to accelerate the repair process it enters when sleeping, helping muscles to synthesise and recover.
Supplementing your diet with both ZMA® and Natural Whey Protein Isolate will encourage your body’s natural repair processes, ensuring not only a speedy recovery but also an increased performance ability for future workouts. Follow the directions of use below to provide your body with a reliable source of all it needs to rest and recover post-exercise…
- ZMA® – Take 3 capsules for men, and 2 capsules for women daily, 30-60 minutes before bedtime. For best results avoid taking ZMA® with calcium-rich foods (as zinc and calcium compete for the absorption sites within the body.)
- Natural Whey Protein Isolate – Add 1 level scoop of protein powder to 200ml of water, or any liquid of your choosing – shake well, drink and enjoy! Repeat 1-3 times daily or as required.
Find out more…
ZMA® > https://naturalnutrients.co.uk/our-range/ZMA®-capsules
Whey protein powder > https://naturalnutrients.co.uk/product-category/whey-protein-powder/
Thanks for reading,
Natural Nutrients Nutritionist
- West, D., Abou Sawan, S., Mazzulla, M., Williamson, E. and Moore, D. (2017). Whey Protein Supplementation Enhances Whole Body Protein Metabolism and Performance Recovery after Resistance Exercise: A Double-Blind Crossover Study. Nutrients, 9(7), p.735.
- ERDMAN, K., FUNG, T. and REIMER, R. (2006). Influence of Performance Level on Dietary Supplementation in Elite Canadian Athletes. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 38(2), pp.349-356.
- Magnesium Therapy for Periodic Leg Movements-related Insomnia and Restless Legs Syndrome: An Open Pilot Study. Magdolna Hornyak Ulrich Voderholzer Fritz Hohagen Mathias Berger Dieter Riemann. Sleep, Volume 21, Issue 5, 1 August 1998, Pages 501–505.
- Effects of magnesium and zinc deficiencies on growth and protein synthesis in skeletal muscle and the heart. Volume 66, Issue 3 November 1991, pp. 493-504.
- Function of the vitamin B6 group: pyridoxal phosphate (codecarboxylase) in transamination. LICHSTEIN, H. C.; GUNSALUS, I. C.; UMERETT, W. W. Lab. Bacteriol., Coll. Agric., Cornell Univ., Ithaca, N.Y. Journal of Biological Chemistry 1945 Vol.161 pp.311-320.