Presents, Partying and Pretox: The Ultimate Guide to Feeling your Best for the Festive Period!
November – that mysterious time between Halloween and Christmas when there’s festive adverts on the TV and left-over trick-or-treat sweets in the cupboard. It’s also a month that seems to fly by and before you know it you’re in December and it’s all systems go on the party scene. But all is not lost yet and there’s still plenty of time to get a head-start on the inevitable New Year health-kick and in this article I’m going to try persuade you that you needn’t resign yourself to the Christmas films, floods of alcohol and copious calories just yet. Instead you can use this time between now and Christmas to prepare your body for what’s to come, ensuring a quick recovery and a healthy start to 2018. Read on to find out how you can look and feel your best for the upcoming celebrations!
A “pretox” is a bit like a detox but more about preparation and prevention and the perfect damage limitation tactic to use over Christmas. Why enter the season for hangovers, bloating and guilt without good prep when you can be proactive and make sure you’re in ship-shape for the party season and make sure you’re looking your best and feeling awesome for the onslaught of festive events.
A good pretox consists of cleansing the liver and providing your body with the nutrients you need to recover from stresses you’re about to put on it. By stress we don’t just mean binge drinking, although it is a big one at this time of year, but all stresses including depriving your body of sleep, nutritious food and fluids which can all take it’s toll and leave you looking and feeling your worst.
In contrast, giving your body a ready supply of nutrients, hydration and rest will help you to work hard and play hard with minimal damage! Our detox bundle is a combination of products which work in synergy to energise and revitalise the body. Here are our favourite supplements to help with your Pretox!
- Supreme Greens – Green for get up and go! Our supreme greens powder is a blend of 35 organic ingredients, mostly superfoods, each functioning in it’s own way to increase energy levels, cleanse the liver and improve gut health. One scoop provides a potent mix of nutrients, fibre and active enzymes – working in the body to detoxify and alkalise. At 54 calories per scoop, a greens drink a day is absolutely efficient and massively convenient. Use in food, smoothies or just mix with water for a daily dose of vitality.
- Milk Thistle – Our milk thistle supplement is a plant-based, entirely natural extract renowned for its repairing and replenishing functions in the body. It is grown naturally and contains a powerful antioxidant called Silymarin which is the active part of the plant offering all its benefits. These include encouraging the regeneration of new cells and reducing symptoms of toxic overload – including gas, diarrhoea and even weight gain. Studies have shown that milk thistle supplementation directly targets the liver to reduce and even reverse damage from factors such as alcohol, chemicals, pharmaceuticals and processed foods. Whilst in an ideal world we’d all stick to within the safe limits for alcohol and eat fresh, home-cooked food, the reality is that we don’t – especially towards the end of the year. And we shouldn’t, this is a time to unwind and treat yourself. Looking after your mental health is just as important as looking after your physical health. Using supplements such as milk thistle can accelerate your body’s own natural repair process and encourage quicker recovery.
- Vitamin C – Ascorbic acid, also known as Vitamin C, is arguably the most studied and best understood supplement of all time. It was the third vitamin to be discovered and a major scientific achievement at the time – when scientists realised that a deficiency of vitamin C was responsible for a swarm of scurvy amongst sailors. This was quickly rectified with, not pharmaceuticals, but citrus fruit! This goes to show the power of food and its nutrients. Vitamin C works as an antioxidant to reduce stress hormones, increase immunity and promote the production of new cells. We have formulated our capsules to contain a 50mg boost of flavonoids – plant metabolites working in synergy with Vitamin C for maximum antioxidant effect.
Supplements are a great way to provide your body with the nutrients it needs in the dose it needs them in, reliably and conveniently. It is important to tailor your supplement use to your own requirements and lifestyle. So if you’ve made plans with family and friends to celebrate the festive season, make sure your body is prepared. That way you can enjoy yourself guilt-free, knowing you’re doing what you can to recover and get back on track!
And as an early Christmas present, here’s two detoxifying drinks recipes for you to try before the binge begins. Try them before your hangover kicks in to halt the headache and surpass the sickness!
Virgin Mary Mocktail
- 200ml Organic Tomato Juice
- 2tbsps Lemon Juice
- ½ Tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- ½ Tsp Tabasco sauce
- Celery and lots of ice to garnish
Our Virgin Mary is a healthy-take on the classic Bloody Mary cocktail. Tomato juice contains fructose, sugar found naturally in fruit. This sugar helps to metabolise the alcohol that’s still in your system quicker. As the tomato is a fruit, it is also high in vitamins and minerals – which fight inflammation caused by stress hormones and work to rehydrate the body and brain.
Binge-Blasting Banana Smoothie
- 1 x Fresh banana, mashed
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 200ml Milk (cow’s, almond or coconut)
- 1 x 30g Scoop Unflavoured Whey Protein
- Blend with ice for a smooth, cold drink
Bananas are a rich source of potassium, an electrolyte which is depleted when alcohol is consumed in excess. When you are dehydrated, it is important to consume electrolytes as well as good old water in order to rehydrate. That’s why sports drinks exist, because they contain potassium and other electrolytes. Bananas are a good food source of these compounds, and together with ice they create the most hydrating drink. Honey works as the fructose acts in the Virgin Mary – giving a spike of sugar to increase energy and metabolise alcohol. Finally, our whey protein powder provides your body with a source of essential amino acids to repair and resynthesise muscles, aiding general recovery and rest.
Thanks for reading,
Natural Nutrients Nutritionist